A turtle withdraws from its shell when it is startled or threatened. When you take the form of a turtle, you will often experience a feeling of moving inwards mentally. Pratyahara means sense withdrawal. As your senses withdraw from your outside distractions, you mind is less agitated and you feel centered. We can cultivate the inner withdrawal in our yoga practice by taking the form of Kurmasana. The Tortoise. And set the intentions to move the attention away from the external world and focus on your own physical and emotional sensations throughout the practice. What you need is not there, just like the turtle knows that when he goes into his shell, he doesn’t need help of anyone to protect him. His protection comes from within…When you develop the ability to stay neutral in the face of a difficult situation, you can better assess your choices and you will respond with clearer knowledge and an open heart rather than with emotional conflict and reactivity.
Small simple reminders:
· Move, feel and reflect on the sensations you are feeling in your practice;
· Soften in the pose as you continue to withdraw from your senses like a turtle;
· When you feel the resistance, at that point is when you surrender more;
· Register the sounds, but do not allow them to disturb your body or mind;
· Draw the limbs of your perception—your eyes, ears, skin, nose, mouth, and consequently your mind—into the shell of the limitless landscape within you;
· Instead of reacting to and identifying with the resistance that may come up, sequence your actions this way: First move, then feel, and then reflect on the sensations. This gives you time to perceive and respond appropriately to cues your body gives you.
· Discriminating the awareness;
· Practice movement of the mind towards silence rather than towards things…
Peace doesn’t mean to be in a place with no noise, trouble or hardwork. It means to be in the midst of these things and still be calm in your body, mind and in your heart. "You have to leave the city of your mind and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you discover will be wonderful, what you uncover is yourself. "
Just like this image, allow your focus on the outside world to become a blur and be in your centre, where your true self can be revealed.